Perfection
I stared up at the light as it illuminated my face in a white glow. The wand came down on my skin and began to buff my face into a smooth surface. This was just the finishing touch. I was so excited to see my status move into desirable. I had spent years dealing with all of the physical imperfections that I had. I used to stare in the mirror and examine every wrinkle, every inch of extra fat, every hair out of place. I knew that I would never find love if I didn't take action.
A few years ago the government partnered with a few private firms in the "Make America More Beautiful" campaign. In exchange for giving our voting rights to the private firms, we could have any cosmetic procedures done that we wanted. They wouldn't pay for education or anything like that. This was strictly so that we could all be more physically attractive. It would make it so much easier to connect with others if our physical imperfections didn't get in the way. Our physical presence was represented on all social media platforms, and it needed to be great.
For years I was chasing Michael. He didn't need to participate in the program. He was already the best looking guy I had ever seen. He was exquisite. Well, I guess his teeth were a little crooked, and his nose was a bit too big, and maybe his brows were a little bushy, but he really was perfect to me. I tried to do everything that he wanted, but he didn't seem interested. I finally realized that I needed to be more beautiful in order to catch his eye.
I knew that Michael would finally want me now that I had completed the last hurdle. I had done everything I could to participate in the redesign process. Every wrinkle was smoothed away. It looked like I never squinted or laughed a day in my life. My body had the exact ratio of fat that it was supposed to have. I missed the curves a little, but this was the desired body shape. Hair was removed from all places that it shouldn't be and extensions were added to the hair on my head. I had to admit that I looked fantastic.
It was mostly women who participated in the program. There were some men though. I met a nice guy named Steve who was getting his hair replaced. He made me laugh and I really liked him, but until I saw the results from his redesign, I wasn't interested. After all I had done to achieve my level of attractiveness, I couldn't settle for someone who wasn't.
I called Michael and he invited me over. I was so excited for him to see me at my very best. I looked at my flawless face and teeth as bright as the stars. I finally would have everything that I ever wanted. I wouldn't miss voting because I was never interested in politics. As long as I could have the man of my dreams, nothing else mattered.
I rang the bell at Michael's place. I was giddy with anticipation. It had been over a year and I couldn't wait for him to see me. The door opened and there he was, as amazing as he ever was. Next to him stood a short, skinny woman wearing glasses. She was definitely not attractive. I wondered who she was. His colleague? His maid? He smiled and said, "Hi Rachel, this is my wife Carol." I couldn't help myself, I gasped. Carol was friendly and we all chatted for a bit.
Michael offered to walk me out. When we were alone he must have seen the look in my eyes. "Rachel, you look fantastic," he said. This was it, he was going to leave Carol and embrace all the perfection that I had become. "Rachel, it was never about the way you look," he said. I just stared at him not knowing what to say. I had invested so much in order to make this happen. "Rachel, you just needed to be yourself, I could have loved that woman" he looked at me with pity in his eyes.

Comments
Post a Comment